18 September 2009

The Cheerfulness Testimony

I read recently that happiness is contagious, a conclusion of a Harvard Medical School heart study.

I've often thought of George Fox's advice to walk cheerfully over the earth, answering that of God in everyone. There have been times when I've quipped that I've got the “cheerful” part down pat; if only the “answering that of God in everyone” was so simple!

These past few months, I haven't been as cheerful as I usually am. The cares of the world have seemed especially heavy in recent months, and I've been on an emotional rollercoaster that pulled me away from my center, time and again.

Just get back on the horse that threw you, Heather. No matter how many times you end up flat on the ground, you need to get up, dust off your fanny, and give it your best shot.

Okay, so I have here a vial of undiluted relentless unconditional happiness, and I want to infect as many people as possible with its contents.

makes Cheerfulness Fairy motions of sprinkling the contents of the vial everywhere that my influence can reach

Pass it on.

And two quotes that seem especially apt to me right now:

If we're not having fun, we're not doing it right.

Angels can fly because they take themselves lightly.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Some songs might help.

"Don't Worry! Be Happy!" is a little obvious.

"Golden Girl" by Al Jarreau. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LeyY5KzOuw

Or my favorite reggae tune, "Three Little Birds" by Bob Marley.

Or get really loud with "How the Lost Get Found!" by Britt Nicole.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4GmLRTJq1w

Chin up, girlfriend. We're all in this together. (Oh yeah, that one's from High School Musical.)